Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Telcos Get Their Precious Immunity

Here are the Senators who voted for the Feingold amendment, which sought to strip immunity from the bill:

Akaka (D-HI)
Baucus (D-MT)
Biden (D-DE)
Bingaman (D-NM)
Boxer (D-CA)
Brown (D-OH)
Byrd (D-WV)
Cantwell (D-WA)
Cardin (D-MD)
Casey (D-PA)
Clinton (D-NY)
Dodd (D-CT)
Dorgan (D-ND)
Durbin (D-IL)
Feingold (D-WI)
Harkin (D-IA)
Kerry (D-MA)
Klobuchar (D-MN)
Lautenberg (D-NJ)
Leahy (D-VT)
Levin (D-MI)
Menendez (D-NJ)
Murray (D-WA)
Obama (D-IL)
Reed (D-RI)
Reid (D-NV)
Sanders (I-VT)
Schumer (D-NY)
Stabenow (D-MI)
Tester (D-MT)
Whitehouse (D-RI)
Wyden (D-OR)
"I sit on the Intelligence and Judiciary Committees, and I am one of the few members of this body who has been fully briefed on the warrantless wiretapping program. And, based on what I know, I can promise that if more information is declassified about the program in the future, as is likely to happen either due to the Inspector General report, the election of a new President, or simply the passage of time, members of this body will regret that we passed this legislation. I am also familiar with the collection activities that have been conducted under the Protect America Act and will continue under this bill. I invite any of my colleagues who wish to know more about those activities to come speak to me in a classified setting. Publicly, all I can say is that I have serious concerns about how those activities may have impacted the civil liberties of Americans. If we grant these new powers to the government and the effects become known to the American people, we will realize what a mistake it was, of that I am sure."
Statement of Senator Russ Feingold

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Obama voted with Feingold on the amendment but not on the bill. I know it is political so he wouldn't look weak, but giving Bush any legitimacy makes me sick.

On the bright side, San Francisco will vote this fall to rename a prominant public facility after George W Bush. If the measure passes, the facility will be renamted "The George W. Bush Sewage Plant." http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-sfsewage10-2008jul10,0,7483745.story

Anonymous said...

Obama is in the "YES" column, see above comment. When it really mattered he caved in. Clinton??? She voted NO. See Cat in the Bag for my post. I'm really pissed.

E.Michael Liu said...

all you obamabots be ready there are more flip floping to come

MarcLord said...

Abraham Lincoln ran on an anti-slavery platform, and between his nomination and general election, he publicly flip-flopped and stated he would NOT seek to abolish slavery during his Presidency, and that he personally considered the white race superior to blacks. Lincoln then proceeded to kill or maim over a million Southern white men and emancipated the slaves.

If Obama had voted "No" on FISA, you'd be hearing right now about what a muslim-coddling weakling he is, how he's not fit to run the country and will get us all killed. Additionally, he explained why he voted for FISA, and that he expects to further change it. I largely agree with his position, and realize he's got to get elected first.