Thursday, November 02, 2006

No Island Is An Island, Pt. I

The yachtocracy is about to freak out about Global Warming. Why now? Well, there's a tough review by Bill McKibben on, amongst others, James Lovelock's book about Gaia being very pissed off. McKibben's piece is coming out in November 16th's issue of the New York Review of Books, titled "How Close to Catastrophe?" Lovelock's short answer: it's too close to avoid. But we're not going to let ourselves think about it until after the Election. (Vote, me hordies, it's all we've got left before the torches.)

When rich Manhattanites read this article, they'll have a predictable reaction: they're going to call their brokers and give them a very serious talking-to. ("Why was I not informed of this Warming thingie earlier? Because of your negligence I had to hear it from Dr. Greenblatt's bimbo wife Shoshonna, for chrissakes. C'mon, do you have any idea how embarrassing that was? Unless I have a plan by 9AM tomorrow on how to move my family to the safe zone in the Arctic Circle, I'll just guess you must want me to take my business elsewhere.") These conversations will differ in tone and consequence from any Al Gore's movie 'An Inconvenient Truth' might've inspired so far, and their outcomes will be more decisive. In its root, Gore's movie appeals to the second most powerful human emotion (greed). What's coming will be more in the realm of the most powerful emotion. Fear. More on this later.

No comments: